Omelette Thingy

I always make a flipping MESS when I try to flip my flipping omelettes. So here's my secret omelette recipe for you- no flipping flipping required!



Necessary items:
A cast iron frying pan (or a frying pan that can go in the oven)
A sharp knife
A cutting board
A small bowl
A fork/whisk
A flipper thinger (spatula???)
An oven mitt (unless you are immune to pain)

Ingredients:
(Author's Note: Please feel free to omit and add any veggies to your liking. It's pretty hard to mess this up. This is my favorite combination of vegetables, but I realize there are crazies out there who DON'T like Brussels sprouts, so I won't be offended if you make this recipe your own!)

For the omelette
1 small onion
3 garlic cloves (medium-sized, not the super duper big ones)
4 Brussels sprouts
A few slices of green pepper (omit if you are in the early stages of the Candida diet)
3-4 asparagus spears
1/2 cup Spinach/Kale
2 eggs
1 TSP chopped basil or basil flakes
Salt (to taste... I like to use Pink Himalayan Sea Salt 'cause I hear it's good for you)
Splash of water
Pinch of cayenne pepper and/or black pepper
Butter or coconut oil (I prefer butter for this recipe, but both are good!)

(Confession: 90% of the time when I make this omelet, I use frozen Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and chopped spinach. Obviously, fresh is best, but frozen is pretty dang good too!)

On the side (optional):
Fresh spinach
Tomato
Avocado

Serves: 1 big eater (AKA: me) or 2 regular people (if you would like to serve more people, just add more eggs)
Time: 20ish minutes

Instructions:
First, put your oven on Broil.

Put your frying pan on the stove over Medium Heat and drop a pad of butter (or a TBSP coconut oil) inside. Chop your onion into small pieces and add to pan. Peel garlic and cut into tiny pieces and add to pan. (If you are using frozen Brussels sprouts, it's a good idea to add them now... they take some time to cook.) Cut your green pepper into small pieces and add that to your pan. Now cut up your asparagus, spinach/kale, and Brussels sprouts and add them to your pan. (If you are using frozen Brussels sprouts, it's a good idea to cut them in quarters once they've cooked some so they'll be more evenly dispersed throughout the omelette.) If things are starting to stick to the pan, feel free to add some more butter or coconut oil to the pan as necessary (I usually do this). Stir veggies around with your flipper thinger as needed. (If you want to see what vegetables in a pan look like, see Picture 1 below)

Now, crack your two eggs into a small bowl and add a splash of water, some basil, and a bit of cayenne pepper and/or black pepper. You can also sprinkle some salt in there now if you wish. I usually like to salt my omelette once it is already cooked but do whatever you'd like! (Picture 2 below)

Now, check and make sure you're not burning your veggies. Move those buggers around with the flipper thinger.

Okay, back to your eggs. Take a fork or whisk and mix those puppies up. Once mixed, pour them into your pan on top of the veggies. The eggs usually disperse themselves pretty evenly throughout the pan thanks to gravity, but if you find yourself stuck with a veggie dam, pick the pan up and tilt it around so the eggs coat the bottom of the pan. (Picture 3 below)

Now wait. After a few minutes you'll be able to see that the bottom of the omelette is cooking. Sometimes I kinda poke the inner side of the pan to see how it is doing. When you see the bottom of the omelette is cooked, but the top is still liquidy, it's time to put it in the oven.

After you put your omelette in the oven, SHUT OFF THE STOVE TOP BURNER. It's an easy step to forget. (I know this from experience. Lots of experience.)

Now, since you're broiling your omelette, you'll want to keep a good eye on it. Broil works its magic fast, so check it at LEAST every minute. (Picture 4 below)

When the top of the omelette is cooked (usually kinda goldeny brown) and has puffed up a bit, it's done! (Picture 5 below)

Pull it out of the oven (make sure you wear your oven mitt!) and SHUT THE OVEN OFF. (I may also have experience forgetting to shut the oven off, if you can't tell.)

Now, I usually like to cut the omelette in half with my flipper thinger and plate it with some fresh veggies (the spinach, tomatoes(!), and avocado I listed earlier) but it is beyond yummy enough to eat on its own. I like to sprinkle some salt on top of my omelette, my boyfriend likes to put salsa on his... just make sure if you are on the Candida diet that your salsa follows the roolz and doesn't contain any preservatives.

Now eat up and enjoy!!!!!

1.


2.


3.


4.


5.


All done!

No comments:

Post a Comment